By our very own Holly Koch.
Hi Tensegrity family. It’s Holly Koch, one of your favorite PT’s writing here. 🙂 Today’s post is about a burgeoning love of mine — Pilates!
Over the last 2 months, our massage therapist, Tanya, and I have been attending weekend training classes in Portland to learn Stott Pilates at Pacific Northwest Pilates studio as well as learning from our in house Pilates specialist, Kazuko. We’ve been filling our heads with exciting new information and we are looking forward to expanding our Pilates practice at Tensegrity Physical Therapy so that our patients can reap the benefits of this wonderful movement system.
As the pace of life has shifted in the last couple of weeks in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, health and safety are at the forefront of our thoughts right now. And yet, as of this week, many of us don’t have access to our usual sources for health maintenance — physical therapy clinics, gyms, yoga studios, personal trainers, etc.
– Don’t have access to your gym or exercise equipment? You can do Pilates at home with nothing but a yoga or pilates mat (or a thick area rug)!
– Feeling stressed? Pilates emphasizes proper breathing which can help to relieve stress.
– Worried about hurting yourself at home? Most Pilates exercises are very gentle, low impact and many are done in seated or lying down positions.
– Concerned you won’t be able to get a good workout without equipment? Pilates is a very flexible workout system with modifications that allows for a range of difficulty from beginner to advanced levels. It helps condition your entire body, from your neck to your toes, and focuses on training all musculature in a balanced way. Many professional sports teams and elite athletes use Pilates in their training regimen.
– Don’t feel like you know where to start? Tensegrity Physical Therapy offers Pilates sessions and we will be happy to take you through a Pilates routine tailored specifically for you.
So I am going to wrap this post up, but please know that the Tensegrity Physical Therapy team cares about you, and we want to do whatever we can to help keep our community healthy through this time.
Call us if you have any questions!